Cattivo come adesso...Mike Patton's forum

Intervista Trevor Dunn, 22/05/2005

« Older   Newer »
Lazarus Gordon
view post Posted on 24/12/2005, 14:09     +1   -1

fonte:
http://www.metal-temple.com/interview.asp?id=164

Finally, after 6 years of listening to them, not only did I get to see them live but I got the awesome opportunity to interview with one of the musical geniuses of Fantomas, Trevor Dunn (bass). And even though he played in two bands while on this tour, he took some time out of his busy schedule and record shopping to speak with me. When I arrived for the interview, Trevor was off shopping at some local vintage record stores, picking up some new music, but who can blame him, that was a cool store. I must also thank him and Monica Seide (Fantomas’ public relations representative), because while in New Orleans attending the Fantomas, my car was broken into and the video camera I used to record the interview with Trevor was stolen. Therefore, the interview was lost forever. I contacted Monica and told her what happened, she contacted Trevor and he was kind enough to do the interview again over the phone. So much love and thanks to Trevor and Monica.

How are things and the tour going?

Good, it’s in the early stages. I think it’s like the fourth or fifth show. It’s going good so far. I’m playing in 2 bands on this tour, so I’m not sure how I’m gonna hold up, it’s a lot of work. But it’s a lot of fun, I can’t complain, there’s nothing else I’d rather do. The only downfall is that it’s a lot of driving. A lot of times we’ll drive for a few hours after a show, stop and get a hotel room, then get up real early and drive some more, so there’s not really time to get out and go find something good to eat.

How’s your record collection coming?

It’s going good. I got some new stuff. I’m always picking up new stuff at different cities, it never ends with me. I’m actually starting to run out of room in my apartment [Laughs].

The original Fantomas was a character from a pre-WWI French thriller by Pierre Souvestre and Marcel Allain and described as the Lord of Terror, the Genius of Evil, the arch-criminal anti-hero. Is this in any way related to the discovery of your band name?

It’s his fault [pointing to Mike Patton as he walks in the door with both middle fingers waving]. When Mike first came up with it, he was going back and forth between the names Fantomas and Diabolic. The original Fantomas started as a novel and it kind of branched out from there. People started making movies and comic books based on this character. And Diabolic is sort of a similar character, but we ultimately decided on Fantomas.

Fantomas is comprised of musicians from all areas of the music spectrum. How did it come to be this particular diverse lineup?

Well, Mike and I have been playing music together since junior high. And he and I had talked about putting together a Metal band. We sort of missed playing Metal. We weren’t sure who else should be in the band and basically Mike kind of went through his Metal record collection and thought of who we would want to play with and he just kind of shot for the stars and both Buzz [Osbourne, guitar] and Dave [Lombardo, drums] were happy to do it.

"Suspended Animation" was released on April 5th. How did the recording go?

We recorded it at the same time we did "Delirium Cordia". It was all one big recording session which actually was like 2 years ago now. We learned all the material for both records and went into the studio and recorded it all, it was a pretty long session. And then basically Mike went in and edited it the way he had planned it. It was basically his vision to do these two records, so he knew how it was going to be laid out, so after we recorded he spent time editing and mixing it.

What inspired the idea to base the concept of the album around the month of April?

I’m not exactly sure [Laughs]. That was Mike’s concept. I think it coincided with the record just happening to come out in April, so he kind of went with the April Fool’s concept. And from there the Japanese artist Nara, sent him like 30 different pictures and he didn’t want to have to choose, he didn’t want to have to pick out a few of them so he decided to use them all. The number 30 just fit into the calendar days. So there was a lot of chance element involved, which is always a good thing I think.

Does Mike write all the parts to the music or do you all have artistic freedom?

He writes everything. There is a little bit of room for editing and changing parts once we start learning the music. Like there might be some stuff that he’s written that is impossible cause, his writing process is tied in with recording so [bhe’ll record these demos at home and send us the demos, then we’ll basically learn the stuff. But since it’s him recording, sometimes he’ll do stuff that either we’re not hearing or that’s impossible to play. We’ll adjust it if we have to but basically he writes everything.

You’re also playing with The Trio Convulsant, which is a different style of music than Fantomas. Is it difficult to play in two bands with such a drastic difference while on the same tour?

A little bit, mostly because I’m playing an upright bass in The Trio and that’s the hardest thing for me because they’re two totally different instruments. A lot of people don’t realize that even though they’re both basses and they’re both ultimately tuned the same. there’s still a major physical difference. It was a little hard but I usually had time between sets to just kind of relax and warm up on my electric bass. It was a little hard, but I can’t complain. I’m playing music for a living. [Laughs]

How did you come to form The Trio Convulsant?

I wrote some music several years ago and I actually put out a record with a different lineup when I was in San Francisco and this new record was basically just me wanting to continue that. Ches [Smith, Drums] and Mary [Halvorson, guitar] are two musicians that I’ve played with for the last 5 or 6 years and I felt that they would bring to it what I was hearing which they definitely did.

Any plans for a live DVD for either band?

No, there’s not. We’re not a big video oriented band, I suppose if there were some good live footage, which would make sense, we would use that, but there aren’t any plans for one.

What are some of your musical influences?

Oh man, they’re all over the place. Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of 20th century classical music, some Mexican folk music, anything I can get my hands on basically, I wouldn’t narrow it down to anything specific.

What are Fantomas’ and The Trio’s plans for after the tour?

There aren’t any plans for The Trio right now. Fantomas is planning on going to China this year and possible Australia and if we’re lucky maybe a couple places in South America too, so that’s all being thought out right now, so more touring.

Why did you guys decide to stop doing Mr. Bungle?

It just kind of actually died naturally. It’s kind of like an injured cat that kind of crawled into the bushes and died really slowly. It wasn’t really an abrupt decision, we did our last tour and everyone sort of went off in their own directions, physically and musically. It just kind of teetered out from there. I think it was the right thing to do. There were a lot of things about that band that were difficult. It was a hard band to tour with and it was a hard band to organize and get together. It was a lot of people with a lot of ideas, so you know.

Well, I’m definitely going to miss it.

Oh yeah, there are things I’ll miss about it too, but we’ve moved on.

Any last Words?

Um, not really, nothing I can think of. [Laughs]

TRADUZIONE

Come va il tour?

Bene, è cominciato da poco. Credo sia il quarto o il quinto concerto. Sta andando bene. Sto suonando in due band in questo tour quindi non so come ce la farò, è un sacco di lavoro. Ma è molto entusiasmante, non posso lamentarmi, non c'è null'altro che vorrei fare. L'unico problema è che c'è da guidare un sacco. Molte volte guidiamo per un po' di ore dopo un concerto, ci fermiamo ad un hotel, ci alziamo presto e guidiamo un altro po', alla fine non è mai l'ora giusta per trovare qualcosa di buono per mangiare.

Come va la tua collezione di cd?

Sta andando bene. Ho trovato della roba nuova. Sono sempre alla ricerca di roba nuova in città diverse, non è mai finita. Ora come ora lo spazio nel mio appartamento si sta esaurendo [Ride]

Il Fantômas originale era un personaggio di una serie di romanzi di Pierre Souvestre e Marcel Allain appartenenti agli anni precedenti alla prima guerra mondiale e è identificabile come il "Signore del Terrore", il "Genio del Male", l'arci-criminale anti-eroe. C'è qualche nesso col nome della band?

E' colpa sua [puntando il dito su patton che entrando sventolava entrambi le dita medie ] . Quando Mike cominciò a pensarci su, era indeciso tra i nomi di Fantômas e Diabolic. Il Fantômas originale è cominciato come un romanzo e ne hanno tirato fuori di tutto. Ci hanno fatto film e fumetti basati su questo personaggio. Diabolic è qualcosa di simile ma alla fine abbiamo optato per Fantômas

i Fantômas sono un assemblamento di musicanti presi da varie scene/generi musicali. Come si è formata questra particolare formazione?

Bè, io e Mike abbiamo suonato assieme dalle scuole superiori. Pensammo insieme di metter su un gruppo metal. Una specie di metal ricercato. Non sapevamo chi reclutare e praticamente Mike si riguardò tutta la collezione di album in cerca di musicisti per formare il gruppo e, tra i famosi, trovò entrambi Buzz [Osborne, chitarra] e Dave [Lombardo, batteria] che furono felici di partecipare.

"Suspended Animation" è uscito il 5 di aprile. Com'è andata la fase di registrazione?

L'abbiamo registrato assieme a "Delirium Cordia". E' stata una sola grande sessione di registrazione dalla quale saranno passati due anni a oggi. Ci siamo imparati i pezzi di entrambi i cd e poi siamo entrati in studio a registrare tutto, è stata una cosa molto lunga. Alla fine Mike ja preso tutto e l'ha montato così come l'aveva pensato. In pratica è stato un suo modo di fare questi due cd, sapendo cosa ne sarebbe uscito, dopo la registrazione di è messo a mixare e montare per tutto il tempo.

Cosa ha ispirato l'idea di usare il mese d'aprile come concept dell'album?

Non ne sono proprio sicuro [Ride]. E' stata un'idea di Mike. Penso sia una coincidenza col fatto che il cd dovesse uscire nel mese di Aprile, quindi ha pensato di usare il l'idea scherzosa del mese di Aprile.
Da qui l'artista giapponese Nara, gli ha sepdito 30 immagini diverse e non voleva scartarne nessuna così le ha usate tutte. Il numero 30 era perfetto per i giorni del calendario. Quindi era tutto collegato, una bella cosa, penso.

Mike ha scritto tutto o avete tutti contribuito liberamente col vostro estro?

Lui a scritto tutto. C'è un momento in cui discutiamo sul tagliare o cambiare alcune part dopo che ce le siamo imparate. Può succedere che ci siano dei pezzi che lui ha scritto che siano impossibili da suonare perchè, il suo modo di comporre è strettamente legato alla registrazione quindi registra queste demo a casa e ce le manda, poi ce le studiamo. Ma essendo roba che registra, qualche volta non riusciamo a capirla o troviamo impossibile da suonare. La sistemiamo se ce n'è bisogno ma in ogni caso è lui che compone tutto.

Stai anche suonado con il Trio Convulsant, che è un genere musiclae diverso da quello dei Fantômas. E' difficile suonare nello stesso tour in due band così differenti stilisticamente?

Un pochettino, più che altro perchè con il Trio suono un contrabbasso ed è la cosa più difficile per me in quanto sono due strumenti totalmente diversi. Molte persone non lo sanno perchè pensano che, se sono entrami dei bassi e fanno lo stesso suono, sono la stessa cosa. Fisicamente c'è molta differenza. E' dura ma di solito tra uno spettacolo e l'altro ho il tempo di rilassarmi e scaldarmi col mio basso elettrico. E' un po' dura ma non mi lamento. Suono da una vita [Ride]

Come ti è venuto in mente di formare il Trio Convulsant?

Scrissi della musica molti anni fa ed ora l'ho messa su cd dopo averla sistema quando ero a San Francisco. E questo album l'ho fatto per spronarmi a continuare. Ches [Smith, batteria] e Mary[Halvorson, chitarra] sono due musicisti con i quali suono da 5 o 6 anni, sentii che si sarebbero sentiti coinvolti da quello che potevo intuire e infatti così è stato.

News su un possibile DVD live?

No, niente. Non siamo una band da video. Suppongo che se ci fosse del materiale live buono, potrebbe aver senso la cosa, potremmo usarlo, ma non è nei miei piani per ora.

Quali sono le tue influenze musicali?

Oh, amico. Sono dappertutto. Di recente mi sono messo ad ascoltare un sacco di musica classica del 20esimo secolo, della musica folk Messicana e tutto ciò che mi è capitato tra le mani, niente di specifico.

Cosa hanno pianificato per il dopo tour i Fantômas e il Trio?

Non ci sono progetti per il Trio per ora. I Fantômas stanno pensando di andare in Cina quest'anno e possibilmente in Australia e se siamo fortunati anche in un paio di posti in Sud America. E' solo una pensata per ora. Più tour quindi.

Perchè avete sciolto i MrBungle PORCA TROIA PUTTANA ZOCCOLA SCHIFOSA SCHIFOSAAAAAA!!?

E' stata morte naturale. E' come se un gatto ferito si fosse richiuso nel suo dolore e fosse morto molto lentamente. Sul serio non è stata una decisione brusca, abbiamo finito l'ultimo tour e poi ognuno è andato per la sua strada, fisicamente e musicalmente. Era una situazione instabile. Penso fosse la cosa giusta da fare. C'erano un sacco di problemi nella band.
Era una band difficile con cui suonare in tour e una band difficile con la quale organizzarsi e trovarsi. Eravamo un sacco di persone con un sacco di idee.... quindi... puoi capire...

Bè, devo assolutamente scoprire cosa è successo...

Oh yeah, ci sono cose che anche io vorrei scoprire, ma è finita

Altro da dire?

Uhm no, veramente no, niente che mi venga in mente [Ride]

Edited by Lazarus Gordon - 24/12/2005, 16:42

Lazarus Gordon
view post Posted on 24/12/2005, 16:43     +1   -1

aaaah... tradotta wink.gif

1 replies since 24/12/2005, 14:09   113 views