Cattivo come adesso...Mike Patton's forum

Fantômas vs Peeping Mike

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 15:30     +1   -1

Lord Of Terror

Group:
Administrator

...tanto per infierire...
mi sono arrivate 2 mail sugli stessi 2 indirizzi, fra i tanti che ho, usati anche dalla Ipecac per la mailing lis.
Sono a nome di un certo Daniel Robert Epstein che annuncia una nuova intervista a Mike...ma questa volta sono contento:
L'HA FATTA PER SUICIDEGIRLS!!!!!

potete leggerla qui

Daniel Robert Epstein: Your press notes say that you think the new Peeping Tom album is more accessible.

Mike Patton: Basically I make the damn records and to a certain extent I talk about them after they’re out if people are twisting my arm to. Then whatever goes into the bios is really where I draw the line and give up because, boy, I don’t know what to call this shit or what’s going to look good in print. So I pretty much leave it up to them and I end up having to talk myself out of it sometimes. But who knows? Accessible? I’d agree that it’s easier on the ear. It is more linear music than a lot of other current projects of mine and it’s more song form oriented. What all that adds up to is a huge question mark to me, but I’ll let you guys decide.

DRE: When you first started Peeping Tom it seemed like a project that wasn’t as big in scope as other things you were doing.

Patton: Possibly. It laid around on my desktop for a while. I was working on it in my spare time. But that’s how all my projects get started, there’s no real hierarchy for me. It just depends on if it feels like the season to work on Tomahawk or Fantomas then that’s my main focus and other stuff goes to the back burner. You can only focus on so many things at once. This one unfortunately kept getting brushed aside even though in my mind it was something I felt very compelled to do. But it gathered a little bit of dust.

DRE: Was the fact that Peeping Tom ended up being easier on the ears very organic?

Patton: Yeah, basically the way I write sometimes is that I just sit down at the desk and start writing. It’s the process that I’m in love with and then all of a sudden a lightbulb goes off and it’s done. I knew immediately this stuff wasn’t going to fit with any of the other projects I was doing. Once I had ten or 15 pieces that I thought were really strong, I was like, “Ok, I guess I better do something with this.” Which in my case means start another band, start another project. There’s still some song style adventures left in me and I’ve got to explore them. That’s when I started taking it more seriously and started seeing it on the same level as many of my other projects. After that I was able to make time and focus on it.

DRE: How do you know when one of your songs is finished?

Patton: That’s a tough thing and the best answer is, you just know. [laughs] The older I get the more conscious I’ve gotten of that. I’ve realized that one of my weaknesses as a writer is that whether I’m writing a strange operatic piece or a groove piece or some long form avante garde collage is knowing when to stop. The trick is knowing when to pull the plug. One of my weaknesses is to really over orchestrate and to overdo it. With this project the challenge was to reel in all of this stuff that I’ve learned and experienced over the last few years and cram it into a three minute song that does not stray too far from the path. To make it melodically driven and something that holds your interest and at the same time is not too boring or too linear. For me it was a real delicate balance and quite a challenge to do that.

DRE: Why is a Peeping Tom song a Peeping Tom song and a Tomahawk song a Tomahawk song?

Patton: Each one to me is its own little universe. Each one has its own little set of rules and regulations and parameters. The only way I can make sense of my music is to compartmentalize it as opposed to having one band that I have to throw everything into. For me it’s just more fun and more challenging to create little worlds where a song or a piece can make sense. With Fantomas, for instance, the language that we’ve developed and that I started out with in mind was, “Ok, I’m going to use these things that I grew up with like heavy metal, hardcore riffs, things that we’ve heard before. But I’m going to organize them in a really unfamiliar jarring way. I’m not going to make songs out of them. I’m not going to have lyrics. I’m not going to be a traditional singer. My voice is like a second guitar, so there are the basic rules. You can do a lot within that little box and now we’ve made three, four records; we’ll probably make three or four more.

Once I got on the path with Peeping Tom, I realized, “ok this is what this project is and this is what it’s going to be.” A lot of times you figure it out as you go along just like life. The longer we live the clearer some things become. With Peeping Tom, like I said before, I realized I wanted to keep everything in a fairly linear song format and that automatically eliminates a lot of extracurricular activities. With Tomahawk that’s a whole other beast, that’s a whole other universe. That’s more of a traditional rock band but it all starts with Duane Denison, the guitar player. It’s his baby, he writes the tunes. My role is much different in there. I’m the facilitator so I help him flesh out the tunes and arrange things. Whether I set out to do this or not, each project ends up being its own little world where certain things can happen and other things are impossible.

DRE: The original movie Peeping Tom is one of my favorite films. It’s got this great line, “All this filming. It's not healthy.”

Patton: Yeah, they told me you were a film buff and that you’d know some lines in that movie.

DRE: I love that movie so much [laughs].

Patton: Good man.

DRE: Did you ever think that what you were doing, maybe unhealthy isn’t the right but some people would consider the music unhealthy.

Patton: Well, whatever. There’s a danger in anything that is unfamiliar. That’s the world we live in. People want to be reminded and patted on the back; they want to be told things they already know. We’re constantly being fed images and being told what to like and what is good and for the most part, I think people enjoy living that way. It takes a lot of the thinking out of it. Everywhere you look there’s someone doing your thinking for you and telling you what to think and when to think of it. So even though this Peeping Tom record, to me, sounds fairly linear, in my universe this is pop music, this is groove music, whatever you want to call it. This is my romantic soul music for crying out loud. What that means in the real world is quite beyond me. I realize this is not Kylie Minogue or The Strokes and I realize that everything that I do is always going to be a little bit of a bastard and it’s going to fall through the cracks. But I think that good things have a way of finding the cracks and I believe that it’s our responsibility or at least mine, to find that shit. That’s part of the reason I started a label, to provide a home for some musical misfits and put a roof over our heads.

DRE: Was there much improvisation with this album?

Patton: No, not really. The process of the record was strange. It was actually pretty personal and lonely. It was mostly me. Like I do with a lot of projects, I initially thought I would play the instruments so I can communicate what I want to musicians I play with. I do crude homemade versions and they learn it from there since I don’t write in the traditional sense with notes on paper. That’s how I do it. So I did that like I do with Fantomas and with a lot of other things. I got used to the sloppy, simple nature of the stuff and I realized I wasn’t going to have to hire a band. But one of the main weaknesses was really the programming, which I’m just fucking terrible at it. That’s when I realized “ok, rather than putting a band in a room and trying to recreate this, I’m going to keep these tracks and work with producers, beat makers.” That’s something I’ve never really done. Also maybe an occasional guest, so that’s when I found the path. Since that was what this project was going to be I was going to stick with it no matter how long it takes because the nature of working with 15 different people long distance is one of patience.

DRE: I read that the idea of having Norah Jones on the album came up when you guys were drinking.

Patton: Yeah, that was quite the long shot but I threw a line out and she responded immediately. So I would say I got incredibly lucky. A couple of others like Dan the Automator and Rahzel were security blankets. Anytime I’m starting something new I’ve got to have a couple of known quantities. I knew I’d get results out of them and it might spearhead some other people to become interested in it. Beyond that there were a few acquaintances and a few total strangers. What I do is on a song by song basis is think “ok, this beat or this approach would be best suited for Amon Tobin or Massive Attack, or whoever.” In a lot of cases I was totally wrong.

DRE: Oh really?

Patton: I’d send a track to Massive Attack and they were like, “huh.” It was a song that doesn’t really even resemble the one that came back to me, which is a good thing. With each tune I sent out a list of instructions basically like, “ok don’t touch this part. This part’s really weak. Maybe try this.” I wanted to give them enough direction but also enough space to do what they want and feel like they were involved in the music. In the case of Massive Attack, I sent them something that I thought they would like and they were like “hmm.” So they remixed it and redid it their way and I was excited by what came back.

DRE: Will there be a music video for Peeping Tom?

Patton: We’re going to do one. In fact, I already did my part. I should be seeing a rough cut any day now.

DRE: Who is the director?

Patton: The director is Matt McDermott and he’s an understudy of this friend of mine, Joseph Kahn. He has a lot of good ideas and is really enthusiastic. The video is very low budget. I did my part in few hours but I think it’ll be nice. It should be pretty funny.

DRE: You used to do all these shows at The Knitting Factory and Tonic.

Patton: I still play those places. I think I played Tonic on New Year’s.

DRE: Oh really? Maybe they’re not publicizing this stuff enough.

Patton: Well, you know.

DRE: What do those small little shows do for you?

Patton: It depends. Most of those shows you’re talking about are either improv based or I’m guesting with someone else. If I’m going to go up there and make a big racket, I’d sure love to do it with somebody else. There’s still a lot to learn and I think that’s why I keep playing and working with different people.

DRE: Do you understand what you’re trying to do at this point or do you do the improv to see what it does for you?

Patton: Well, for instance on this Peeping Tom record, my goals are that I want to work with all these guys but also I want to learn how to program. I want to get something from this and I did get some pointers. I realized how little I do know about this and how skewed my approach really was. When you improvise with anyone, it’s an exchange of ideas that is instantaneous and you got to really think on your toes. It teaches you about composing instantly for the moment. I did a few shows at the Japanese Society a few days back with a bunch of Japanese improvisers, mostly vocalists.

DRE: That must have been fun.

Patton: Oh it was really a blast. Eye from The Boredoms was there and a few other people. Again you’re in a church, you’re up there just trying to fit in and I believe the closer you are to this stuff, even spending an hour with some of these cats, by osmosis you learn things. The way I learned music was by listening to records, watching movies, listening to the soundtracks and then also by doing. I think that the more input you have, the more output you have by default.

DRE: The great fantasy artist, Frank Frazetta, had a stroke a few years ago and is now unable to use his right hand, which he’s been drawing with for decades. He has had to learn how to draw using his left hand for the first time. Some of the pictures I’ve seen him do with his left hand are amazing. I know that you have a similar problem after destroying the nerves in your right hand, how are you doing with it?

Patton: Oh man, I didn’t know anybody knew about that. But it’s not that big of a deal. There was a period where it was a very big deal, where I had to learn how to do everything with my left hand. Play basketball, brush your teeth, masturbate, all that good stuff. In terms of writing, that’s changed a little bit, I still have the movement but the feeling is not there. I’m just so damn used to it now. But let’s just say I’ll be writing on guitar. I’ll be playing and playing and everything will be fine and then maybe I’m recording or something and all of a sudden it won’t be sounding quite right. I’ll look down and the pick will have fallen out of my hand and I’m playing with my fingers but it feels the same. So that’s a little example of how different that can be. You go, “oh shit. Whoops” and I put the pick back in my hand. But I wouldn’t say that it’s affected my writing in any other sense but physically. It’s hilarious because the doctors told me that I wouldn’t get the movement back but I’d get the feeling back. They were 100 percent wrong and I’m glad they were wrong because I’d rather be able to move the fucking thing.

DRE: I read that you just collaborated with a choir in Italy.

Patton: Yeah, I did. It wasn’t my piece, it was a piece by this composer Eyvind Kang from Seattle. We put one of his last records out on Ipecac, which was another classical piece. This one we did in Italy is a real ambitious piece. It has a 30 piece choir, brass quartet, couple guitars and then two soloists. I was one of the soloists. Again that was a learning experience because I never sang without a microphone before. We were in an opera house in Italy and I had to really project. I had to step up to the plate because these guys were all professional singers that had little tuning forks and were reading music and there I was flopping around on stage like a dead fish. [laughs] It was fun and I think it came out good. We did a recording that I can’t wait to hear.

DRE: Do you have any desire to write a choir piece now?

Patton: Not yet, but there’s a few little orchestral things on the horizon for me. A couple of things with Fantomas possibly and then also I’m arranging old Italian pop tunes. I think will be a good way to get my feet wet.

DRE: Is the movie you scored, Pinion, set to come out?

Patton: I haven’t even started composing yet because it got held up in production and it hasn’t started filming yet. It’s way on the backburner and I’m just waiting for them to call and say “hey, we’ve got a movie, start writing.”

DRE: How did you get involved with that?

Patton: The director [Melanie Lee] was a friend of a friend so they sent me a script which I liked so I met with her and that was it. But I think even if I hadn’t liked the script I would have probably tried it because I’m really curious about composing for film. It’s something I’ve always wanted to try and really never had many opportunities so I’m psyched to get going on it.

DRE: Do you know in advance what instruments you would use to score?

Patton: It depends on the script and what sounds I need. I started scoring a short film that I’m halfway done with. I’m behind of course and the instrumentation for that is all over the map. At times it sounds like I wrote a little fake aria for an opera. I wrote a 30’s swing piece and there’s another piece that’s maybe 30 seconds long that is perfectly timed to a scene where guys are in a car and flipping the dial on the radio. That’s like 30 genres in 30 seconds. The way I would approach it is the same way I do with any project. What do I want it to sound like? Then you write down a list of instruments and then you’ve got to find people to play them or play them yourself.

DRE: Do you have any desire to direct anything yourself?

Patton: Doubtful. I got enough problems.

DRE: I watched the trailer for Firecracker a couple days ago.

Patton: I don’t know if I’ve seen that trailer. How is it?

DRE: It looks really wild.

Patton: It’s pretty wild looking. The script is all over the place and the acting, present company included, is a little spotty. But man it looks great. I’ve only seen it in its entirety once and it’s quite a rollercoaster ride. It is half black and white, half color. It jumps off the screen, it’s really beautiful.

DRE: Do you want to do more acting?

Patton: We’ll see. The reason I did that is because the situation was so incredibly perfect. It was a combination of coincidences that it made it impossible for me to say no. I knew the director, the script was good, a few people in the movie were really working me about it and I had free time. It was just like, “Damn, should I really try this? Yeah, why not? What have I got to lose?” It won’t be the first time I look like an idiot in front of a lot of people.

DRE: What do you know about SuicideGirls?

Patton: It’s funny because I’ve never been to the site. All I really know about SuicideGirls is that every time we play Portland or Seattle, there are a few really obnoxious punk rock girls that come backstage yelling that they are SuicideGirls and they want to drink all our beer. That’s pretty much my experience right there.

Edited by Lazarus Gordon - 29/5/2006, 16:31

Web  Top
view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 15:35     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

cazzo che risposte lunghe... strano... :D

Web  Top
DaveJWarner
view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 15:40     +1   -1

infatti..ritorniamo all discorsoo solito ;)

view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 15:40     +1   -1

Lord Of Terror

Group:
Administrator

...mah..me lo sono chiesto anch'io...
chissà come mai adesso sembra che gli piaccia farsi intervistare.......
...dai...secondo me era nella sede delle Suicide Girls, mentre era in ballo qualche servizio fotografico....
Ahhhahahhahahha

Web  Top
view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 15:46     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (Fantômas @ 29/5/2006, 16:40)
chissà come mai adesso sembra che gli piaccia farsi intervistare.......

ahahah

mandiamogli una serie di domande solo sui peeping tom, ci risponde dopo mezz'ora :lol:

Web  Top
DaveJWarner
view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 16:03     +1   -1

..... dai proviamo!

view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 16:06     +1   -1

fenomenologo da quattro soldi

Group:
Fan Club

CITAZIONE (White Russian @ 29/5/2006, 10:22)
Quello è un progettone con i controcoglioni

ecco il punto
patton prende due piccioni con una fava:

-fa un album che magari farà respirare la ipecac
-fa un album con "sonorità" che non affrontava da anni, e lo fa con artisti seri, perchè sarà sì pop, ma io gente alla alex britti non lo vedo fra le collaborazioni...

CITAZIONE
io non ho criticato l'album, non ho sparato a zero su Peeping tom, è tutto ciò che gli stanno creando attorno che non mi piace!!

e già, peccato che senza tutta quella roba attorno non vendi...
e comunque il suo stile mike non lo perde

menazone
view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 18:59     +1   -1

Allora mes amis.
Ascoltato il disco su myspace.
Non lo trovo pop per un cazzo.. sonoi dei mr bungle ricchioni...
richiede molto ascolto questo sicuro.
Molto ascolto.
ma non griderei per nulla al patton commerciale mai...
minchia se questo è commerciale e pop chi sono robin williams e cristina aguilera?

view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 19:03     +1   -1

Lord Of Terror

Group:
Administrator

..l'album può anche non esserlo, però viene trattato come tale!!!

Web  Top
menazone
view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 19:28     +1   -1

QUOTE (Fantômas @ 29/5/2006, 20:03)
..l'album può anche non esserlo, però viene trattato come tale!!!

per fare un paragone politico anche berlusconi non è intelligente e moggi non è un genio ma vengono trattati come tali...
ragazzi

:vomblu:

view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 19:30     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (menazone @ 29/5/2006, 19:59)
sonoi dei mr bungle ricchioni...

:rido: :rido: mi sa che me la metto in firma a posto del commento di Fraz sui Tool :lol:

Web  Top
view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 21:14     +1   -1

Lord Of Terror

Group:
Administrator

...qualcuno può tradurre questa parte dell'intervist....mi sembra un punto fondamentale, ma non è così semplice....

"I realize that everything that I do is always going to be a little bit of a bastard and it’s going to fall through the cracks. But I think that good things have a way of finding the cracks and I believe that it’s our responsibility or at least mine, to find that shit. That’s part of the reason I started a label, to provide a home for some musical misfits and put a roof over our heads."

Web  Top
view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 22:19     +1   -1

Group:
Moderatore globale

Scusatemi se sarò sintetico, ma non ho avuto proprio il tempo per potere scrivere una risposta articolata (spero sia almeno sensata):

Sull'album non mi pronuncio perché non l'ho ancora ascoltato.

Sul resto, regà, questo nasce come progetto mainstream (pop o non pop), e come tutti i progetti mainstream deve essere fatta promozione. Altrimenti non è mainstream. La ipecac non ha mai fatto questo tipo di promozione, vero. La promozione è parte stessa del progetto. Tutti questi cliché non sono attorno al progetto peeping tom, ma ne sono parte, come la musica.
Perché Mike ha voluto fare questo, sarebbe da chiedersi. Sono cazzi suoi, rispondo io. Mike si può permettere di tutto, in questi anni ho imparato ad apprezzarlo proprio per questo motivo: il suo spaziare da un genere ad un altro, a situazioni musicali ben diverse fra loro.

AGGIUNTA:
L'unica cosa che mi permetto però di mettere in discussione è che a pubblicare e a promovuere peeping tom sia stata la ipecac. Perché? Basta leggersi il loro motto(riportato dal nostro admin "cattivo" nel primo post), che non si sposa bene con quello che è peeping tom, anzi è l'esatto contrario...penso che sia accaduto questo perché sono stati costretti, vale a dire: o esce per la ipecac o niente peeping tom. Ma di questo, dei 6 anni di ritardo, dei contatti con le major ne abbiamo già parlato. Oppure avevano finito la grana...
Questa aggiunta la metto perché in questo topic abbiamo discusso di comportamenti coerenti o no, e questo non lo è stato. Personalmente non me ne frega nulla, continuerò lo stesso a comprare i dischi della Ipecac! Anzi sto facendo una pubblicità spudorata di peeping tom ai miei amici (che ascoltano musica mainstream) e sui forum a cui partecipo (vi invito a fare lo stesso :D)
e se un giorno qualcuno, chiedendo il mio cantante preferito, mi dirà: "Ma il Mike Patton dei Peeping Tom?" Io risponderò orgoglioso "Sì, proprio lui". :D

Edited by bunglegrind - 29/5/2006, 23:55

Web  Top
view post Posted on 29/5/2006, 22:56     +1   -1

Esegeta

Group:
Fan Club

E' vero. Se dovessi dedicere di realizzare un progetto con un apio gettito, farei si che venisse promosso a 360° gradi con i mezzi adatti ed arrivasse al maggior numero di orecchie possibile. Mike ha proposto un disco che può godere di grandissima notorietà e di conseguenza avrà preparato una campagna mediatica degna dell' obbiettivo che intende raggiungere. Perchè diciamoci la verità: tra il bilancio consuntivo della ipecac e quella della Emi o Sony c'è qualche differenza di quattro o cinque zeri....

Web Contacts  Top
menazone
view post Posted on 30/5/2006, 08:59     +1   -1

Il post di bunglegrind è molto bello. E concordo con tutto me stesso.
Rimango impuntato sul fatto che nn sarà mai un prodotto mainstream e nn vedremo mai iilnostro Mike famoso (ma lo è già) e ascoltato dai teenagers di tutto il mondo:
1. perchè reppa che fa schifo, si ripete come un campionatore in tutte le sue soluzioni vocali.
2. non è abbastanza negro.
3. cmq è il suo mainstream, come qualcuno diceva - la ipecac propone il suo mainstream - e non è a portata di tutti, anzi.
A noi sembra melodico, commerciale e facile - abbioamo in testa purumpuppà - ma alla maggiorparte della gente suonerà difficile ostico e non accessibile.
Vi ricordo che la gente ascolta i five, i blue.... Avril lavigne cazzo!

La ipecac stà facendo uno sforzo, e il disco senza dubbio è valido per i componenti e per chi ci suona, per me è un pò più mainstream degli altri, ma nn sà ne di carne ne di pesce; la promozione spaccherà ma nn aspettatevi (spero vivamente di sbagliarmi) dei nuovi FNM.
I FNM sono lontani... molto lontani.

Nonostante tutto da vero fan l'ho comprato, e lo sosterrò con tutto me stesso: ma ho una brutta sensazione, spero nn sarà un buco nell'acqua.
Una cosa però è certa, per la prima volta la Ipecac esce dal suo guscio e prova a farsi vedere in maniera massiccia, a nn esistere solo per noi nerd del mike, ma a mostrarsi anche agli occhi degli altri.
Sarà utile al 100% alla vita dell' etichetta.
Massimo rispetto cmq.

118 replies since 28/5/2006, 09:14   2354 views