Cattivo come adesso...Mike Patton's forum

Raccolta di interviste

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 29/10/2006, 17:53     +1   -1

fenomenologo da quattro soldi

Group:
Fan Club

qua metterò le varie interviste che trovo sui Tomahawk
siccome sono lunghe e sono in inglese, piazzo un piccolo riassuntino delle cose più interesanti (se riesco a capirle :D)
userò questo primo post come raccoglitore, modificandolo di volta in volta, indicando anche la fonte con tanto di link

le interviste le metto sotto spoiler, per tenerle salve nel caso vengano cancellate le pagine... se volete leggerle, vi consiglio di farlo nbelle pagine originali, perchè sono più leggebili a mio modo di vedere

Duane Denison @ the No-Fi "Magazine" http://www.nofimagazine.com/tomahawint.htm
(periodo prima dell' uscita di MIT GAS)

SPOILER (click to view)

D:
Duane Denison E: Ernie Mejia (among other things I've been called )

E: Where was your last show?
D: Last night in Seattle.
E: How did that go?
D: It went really good. Sold out.
E; How did you guys get together in the first place?
D: By accident almost really. I met Patton at a Mr. Bungle show. I live in Nashville now and he came through town with that. I went down there and got introduced and one thing led to another.
E: Nice. Do you get the skitters when playing live?
D: I do! Funny after all this time I still do. You know when you’re recording or rehearsing whatever, that obviously doesn't happen, but the minute I get in front of people it changes. I like to have a little drinky-poo.
E: Do you write these new songs by yourself or is it pretty much a jam session with the whole band?
D: Typically these songs start off in my basement just with a guitar and a drum machine and a work station. I’ll make really rough out lines like demos, and then burn CD’s, and then get feedback. Then when we get together we kind of color in the blanks. People add details to their part. Editing, arranging, that kind of thing.
E: Do you change your equipment around from your recording set-up to your live one?
D: Not typically. This one because we’re touring with The Melvins, to make things easy I’m sharing, basically using Buzz Osbourne’s amp and speaker set-up with my effect and stuff. It makes it easier for a quick change over and since our bass player is in both bands, he’s there too.
E: Do you tour with pets?
D: No! It’s funny. I miss my cats though. I just had a dream about one of my cats last night.
E: Have you guys toured Europe for this album yet?
D: Not for this one yet. We’ve been out for about a week and a half so we’re kinda just getting rolling.
E: Do you think Europeans are friendlier to the live act?
D: They can be just as crazy in some places. Even worst in some places. Christ! Northern Ireland? Insane! Absolutely insane. Some of those grim industrial nations like, oh…England, and the Scandanavian ones…
E: You have to watch yourself?
D: That and there’s soo much drugs. You know the U.S. is bad but they are really bad there. It’s like people have such hopeless lives that getting completely obliterated is you know…not that there’s anything wrong with that.
E: Tomahawk’s first album came out in 2001. Do you consider the period between albums too long or too short?
D:No , just right. We played a lot of shows. Some of the stuff from this album we’ve actually been playing live before this tour. A year, a year and a half between albums is good.
E: Do you think you got a different sound from this album?
D:Yah I think it’s a bit more spacious. The working relationship is more comfortable. I’m just really happy with this album, without sounding like a jerk.
E: What is your take on the state of music right now? Pop music?
D: So me people say that this is the worst era ever, but pop music has always been bad, you know? I just think that as the technology gets more advanced, that the craftsmanship, the writing, and the playing seems to go backwards. People go to see what is supposed to be a “live” performance and half of it is on tape or on DAT, or on samplers, and they’re simply playing along with it, or in some cases, not even bothering playing along or singing! They just act it like at a Kareoke show. That’s wrong.
E: What kind of movie would you like to see your music be a soundtrack to?
D: The obvious thing to would be to say something like, “Well, Lynch!” , or “Terrantino!”, or “Kronenberg!”…Um , something contemporary in America, maybe something a little more subtle like Jim Jarmusch. (Night on Earth, Ghost Dog)
E: How about Christopher Guest?
D: That’s a little too dry for me.
E: Do you own anything magic?
D: I got an old song book that’s been in my family.
E: Do you feed off it, read it over?
D:Um, I’ve lifted a few things here and there.
E: Nice. What are you listening to right now?
D: In the van on this trip it’s been Faust, this Dutch composer Louise Van Driessen, kind of a modern, postmentalist guy. The Young Gods.
E: Do you try to buy stuff that’s in your own style?
D: Everything different. All kinds of stuff. I try to keep up on the rock stuff, but it seems like I’ll go buy a batch of stuff and be disappointed.. So then I buy something experimental or something orchestral,. Chamber music. Jazz.
E: Any strange childhood memories?
D: Um , no. But my sister and I saw a ghost car twice in the same night. We lived out in a suburb of Detroit called Plymouth on a dirt road with a dirt driveway, and this glowing silver car came down the driveway, passed the house, and turned around again, and it was silent. The whole car was silver. The glass, everything. So we ran outside where my mom and dad were sitting next to the driveway. This was really evil. So we’re all “ Who was that in the car? What kind of car was that? WHAT WAS THAT!?!” And they said “What car?” They didn’t even see it. So my sister and I went back into the house and we were freakin’ out. And it came back fifteen minutes later. We were so scared we just stayed inside. And once again it just passed them by and left…
E: Do you drive?
D: Uh huh.
E: What do you drive?
D: A Subaru stationwagon. Very sensible, very practical.
E: You don’t go for the old jaloppees?
D: No, I don’t go for the vintage and I don’t go for the sporty new ones, just strictly practical. If I could have a second car it would be nice to have maybe a vintage pick-up, maybe an old Chevy.
E: What would you be doing if you hadn’t gotten into music or had gotten out of it?
D: Well, before The Jesus Lizard I had quit playing for a while. I was living in Austin, Texas working at a gasoline pump factory, and I had been playing in bands down there too. That’s where I met the Scratch Acid guys, but I just couldn’t seem to get anywhere so I just quit playing for a while saying ,“You know, music is just wearing me out and I’m just going to quit and concentrate on getting ahead.” So I was working in this factory and they had moved me up. I went from the assembly line, to the final assembly, to the test department and they said, “You know Duane, if you want to take some night classes in electronics, we’ll reimburse you for it, and we’ll move you up into field service, which meant that I wouldn’t be out on the line all the time. And that’s probably where I would have worked.
E: So you didn’t go for it.
D: I actually did for a while. I was still working there and going to night classes. Every dad was like a ten hour shift, and then go to school. It was just a long day. Exhausting.
E: So what brought you back to music?
D: David Sims called me from Chicago and him and David Yow had moved there. Sims was playing in Rapeman and we had already sort of flirted with the idea of Jesus Lizard down in Texas before he moved up there. This was like 1988-1989. He called me up and said, You should come up here and I think we should get this band together , and we’ll get a drummer, and I hate to see you quit.” So I thought about it thinking, “ You know if I don’t do this I’ll probably regret this for the rest of my life.” So I did, and things worked out and things are still working out.
E: So you don’t mind moving around?
D: No, I’ve moved around a lot. I started out, grew up in Michigan, moved to Texas, Chicago, now I’ve been living in Nashville for the passed four years.
E: Playing with Hank Williams III?
D: Yah. Not anymore. I’m not doing that gig anymore.
E: Any reason?
D: Let’s just say I wanted to do this.
E: Does weather influence your writing?
D: Sure. I like a change of weather. I could never live in L.A. or Southern California. I like the seasons. I feel the most creative around like the Christmas through February period where it’s short days when it’s dark a lot and you’re more prone to staying inside.
E: Socks or slippers?
D: Slippers. I didn’t used to be.
E: Annika or Pippi?
( silence )
E: …from Pippi Longstocking?
D: I have no idea.
E: Milk or cheese?
D: Cheese.
E: LP’s or CD’s?
D: CD’s.
E: Favorite drink?
D: The one I can’t obviously face the day without is coffee. That’s the reason to get up in the morning. But then there’s the afternoon, maybe more of a soda, more of a Coke time. Evening is wine, beer, whiskey time…
E: Do you see an end to Tomahawk anytime in the near future?
D: I take it by ear. Of course bands break up. That’s what they do. I don’t know. I don’t have any set time limit, no due date. We seem to be going well.. It’s still kind of an upward trajectory. It’s still a new band, just our second album, so things are going well…
E: Have you ever not had the creative freedom to do what you want with music?
D: Yah, but not the way you’re thinking. There was a period in time where I was out of school for about five years where I was supporting myself with jobs that took up so much time, but somehow when I come to think about it, I managed to write and put out albums. So no, not really. You just have to make time.
E: What does Duane do for fun when he’s away from music?
D: Basically normal things. Eat, go to movies, swim, go outside.
E: Movie fun, huh? Action? Foreign?
D: Everything. Foreign, drama. Even dumb comedies. Sometimes there’s nothing like a mindless comedy to get the cobwebs out…Even bad comedies like “Undercover Brother”.
E: Oh that was a good movie.
Any parting words for our No-Fi readers?
D: Where is No-Fi based?
E: Silverlake.
D: Oh, Silverlake. That’s very cool… Um, no wisdom. Just kinda, I hope you like the new one.
E: Very good. Thank you Duane.
D: Thank you.

sintesi: Duane racconta di come ha conosciuto Patton ad un concerto dei Bungle a Nashville, spiega come i Tomahawk scrivono i pezzi, che nascono dal suo studio e vengono modellate dai vari membri del gruppo. Poi aggiunge di essersi trovato più a suo agio a suonare con la band in Mit gas che nell' esordio. Racconta di uno strano episodio di un auto fantasma a cui ha assistito da piccolo e dice di guidare una Subaru (ottima scelta, Duane!), e poi spiega che se non avesse fatto il musicista avrebbe lavorato come benzinaio...
Duane dice di sentirsi maggiormante creativo da natale a febbraio, perchè le giornate durano meno e c'è più oscurità; quindi pensa che la California non sia il posto adatto a lui.

Duane Denison @ twenty/forty http://www.twentyfortyzine.com/interviews/...ane_denison.php (periodo dopo l' uscita di MIT GAS)

SPOILER (click to view)
twenty/forty: How was this album written as opposed to the last? With the last album, you wrote all the main parts and then traded tapes back and forth. Was this similar?

Duane Denison: This wasn't a whole lot different, although instead of tapes its CDs now. I have a digital workstation now, so I kind of moved up. Same idea though, I kind of just sketch things out and then make CDs. When we get together we fill everything in. Though three songs on the new album we played live before recording, and we've done some improvising together. Maybe the writing process was a little more organic. Plus, we know each other better from playing a lot of shows now. I think that enhanced it.

t/f: Going back to those three songs from the new album, "Mayday," "Harelip" and "Birdsong" were all part of the first tour.

DD: Right.

t/f: Now, did you write those for the first album?

DD: No, they kind of happened after. When we went on tour we didn't have enough songs.

t/f: Is that why you guys did some covers as well?

DD: That's part of it. Plus, we just like doing covers. Covers are fun. That's why we would improvise though, because we'd run out of songs.

t/f: So, are you generally writing when you're on tour?

DD: That doesn't really happen. Touring is fairly exhausting. I've already got maybe five or six new songs, rough ideas that I worked on in the period between when we finished "Mit Gas" and when we started the tour. So, I did some homework and kind of got a head start. Then I just stopped and said okay, it's time to get into tour mode.

t/f: Is that the same mode that everyone else in the band is in?

DD: Well, we're all playing all the time. Like Fantomas, Melvins, everyone's always doing something. John plays with a group in New York called Battles and he dj's. Actually I have a group called Koneki in Nashville that I play with when I'm home. I do a little bit of studio stuff here and there. So, we're playing all the time. After sitting in the basement all winter writing songs it's like, "enough."

t/f: Is that how you normally write, you shut yourself in?

DD: Yes.

t/f: Do you have a favorite song you like to perform?

DD: Not really, there are a few so far that seem like my favorites. "Point and Click," "Capt. Midnight," "Mayday's" fun, "Harelip's" fun. "Harelip's" easy -- I can take it easy on that one.

t/f: Is going on tour and performing mostly fun for you, or does it ever just become a job?

DD: Well, it's definitely work, it's tiring, but it's good work. It's fun, obviously we enjoy playing. To me there's nothing worse than going to see a band and they look like they don't want to be there, you know what I mean? I don't think we ever give that impression. You know there are some days when you're tired and you don't feel good or you have problems going on at home that you can't do anything about. And you'd rather just have a day when you don't have to do anything. That's part of the deal.

t/f: Are you able to overlook the problems and enjoy yourself?

DD: Just drink them away.

t/f: As a band, are you guys trying to find a sound, and is that a good or bad thing?

DD: Yeah, I think we've found one. I think that's exactly what a band should do. It took a while. The first album, the first tour; I still like a lot of those songs and I think it holds up pretty well, but we hadn't really found a group personality yet. I think we're on it now. We know what we're capable of, and it's not so much individuals as it is a collective thing. Now I feel like it's really starting to take off.

t/f: Does that have to do with this being more of a collaborative album?

DD: Yes, and just playing together. You get used to communicating more easily. We're at the point now where it doesn't matter who writes a part because everyone's going to say something about it. So, you have a built-in editor, everybody in the band. If I come up with something and I figure I like it and those guys like it, then everybody will like it. But the other guys are not shy about saying, "That's not so good." Maybe I'll make a CD with three or four songs, and they'll say, "One and two are great, but I'm not so sure about that other one." Honestly it doesn't happen that much because I think about what everybody likes before I make a tape or a CD.

t/f: The first album, had you written most of the songs before you knew who was in the band?

DD: Oh yeah, about half of it.

t/f: So, now that you know who is in the band, do you find yourself writing differently?

DD: Yes, knowing what they like to play, what they're strengths are, that kind of thing. Then you kind of balance it out; I don't want too many of this kind of song, or too many of that kind of thing.

t/f: You've played with some pretty powerful lead singers. Do you approach writing differently knowing your singer is Mike Patton as opposed to David Yow (of Jesus Lizard)?

DD: Oh of course. With Patton, it's so easy to write for a singer like him because he can sing melodies and do traditional vocals as well as screech and shatter and do all that other stuff. So, I feel like I can write just about anything, which wasn't always the case in the past. It's nice to have songs where the vocal melody drives the song, rather than just say, riffs or beats.

t/f: What do you think of the arraignments and the samples that he adds, which is not something you traditionally had in your songs?

DD: True, but I love it now. Now when I go back and listen to stuff that's guitar based with drums and vocals, I think it was fine for the time it was in but it now sounds a bit plain to me. I think it's nice to have those different sounds and textures going on.

t/f: So, what do you think in general about technology and music?

DD: Mostly good, but now it seems that sometimes the technology is driving the music as opposed to the other way around, which isn't what it used to be. It used to be there was a need for something and someone would invent something to fill the need. Now people invent new things, and it's not to say it's always bad, but the technology seems to influence the music more than the other way around. In the old days, Leo Fender, the guy who made Fender guitars, would go to his local dancehall and you could never hear the bass. People said, "Leo," who was a simple machinist, "why don't you make us an electric bass?" And that's where it all happened. Same with guitars, couldn't hear it, let's make an electric guitar. Now you have samples, which I like. Obviously we have a sampler in the band. But when someone says, "Hey listen to my new song," and it's all just samples of preexisting things, there's a part of me that says, "You no talent, button pusher."

t/f: Is there any pop music that you actually enjoy?

DD: A lot, a lot. I'm not so sure about current pop music. Popular music has its place in society. It's supposed to make people happy for a few minutes at a time, if you're stuck in a traffic jam. I remember a couple years back, I live in Nashville now, so that "O Brother Where Art Thou?" song was huge. That one damn song is so catchy and it sounds so fucking good. You know what I mean? I know so many people from all cross sections of music who all like that song. You were perfectly happy to hear it on the radio when you're driving. To me that's what popular music should do. Blondie, ABBA. I couldn't get ABBA out of my head. I heard it once earlier this tour, that song Dancing Queen. It's a beautiful song. It starts off with the chorus first, brief intro, then the chorus, and then it goes into a verse -- brilliant.

t/f: You've had some issues with big record labels in your time. Can you talk about what it was like to go from Touch and Go to Capitol (with Jesus Lizard) to where you are now on Ipecac?

DD: By the time we went to Capitol, we had been around for a while, and we weren't kids. We had lots of friends who had made that similar jump and we had really good legal advice, so we knew exactly what we were doing. We knew what the possible consequences were but our contract was so ironclad. That's why we signed -- there was no way we could lose. They had to pay us for a certain amount of albums whether they put them out or not. No matter how many they sold and no matter whether they put it out, they had to pay us x amount of dollars. That was the only reason we did it. You know we had been playing for years and getting by and doing alright; Touch and Go is a great label and I still talk to them all them time. We told them beforehand that we're thinking about making the jump, so we're still on good terms with them. It was funny though, we made that jump and then our record sales went down. Usually it goes up, but ours went down. That was kind of the beginning of the end. But I still have money in the bank from that. Some people might say, "You fucking sellout," but we went for years living like hobos while other people, our fans, were going to dental school or whatever, so I don't feel guilty. Leading to where you're going with this, it's nice to be back on an indie like Ipecac where it's quality music, I trust the people that run it, we have creative control, etc.

t/f: Was creative control something you didn't have at Capitol? Did they pressure you?

DD: You know, they did, but not as much as you might think. We just weren't a pop band and we thought they understood that. Anytime you sign to a big record company they are going to want to hear a single, they're going to say, "Where's the single?" So, we tried to mix singles and Jesus Lizard weren't a singles band. I don't know what kind of band we were. But there was never that big of pressure. Now at Ipecac the pressure is to just be good, just be creative and unique and original and exciting. The label seems to be pretty visible right now and it's in an upward trajectory. So, it's a good place for us to be.

t/f: And it must be a nice sense of community on the Ipecac Geek Tour.

DD: Awesome, it's the way a tour should be. You like the bands, you like the music, you like the people. It's not some ego-driven mayhem tour where you just get sick of seeing these people day after day. It's great, the way a tour should be. The attendance has been excellent everywhere. It seems to be the tour that's under the radar as far as mass media but it's the one that real people want to see, so I'm so happy to be doing it.

t/f: Can you talk about the difference between this tour and touring with Tool?

DD: (Laughs) Well, once again we knew what we were getting into. Tool are very nice people, they are actually music fans, they listen to music, they care. But anytime you're playing in front of somebody else's crowd, you're at their mercy. We've all been in that situation before where, no matter how well you play, they're probably not going to like you. So, you just kind of get used to it. It got to be a drag after about eight weeks. I'd had enough. Being flipped off by kids half my age, I'd like to beat their ass.

t/f: Do you think you'll play another stadium tour anytime soon?

DD: You never know. Sometimes those things are fun to do just for a change of scene. You know, we play this kind of circuit all the time. I've been playing places like this (Theater of the Living Arts) since what, the 80's or something? So to get out and play an arena, it's fun. It's funny in a way. I don't think music was meant to be played in those kinds of places. To me there's another example of technology driving the music, it's architecture driving the music. When bands started playing bigger and bigger places, they had to start writing music that would sound good in those kinds of places, right? That's arena rock. People say, oh that's just amped up blues. Well maybe, but it was big blocks of sound, simple beats, big textures, stuff that will sound the same no matter where you play.

t/f: And it doesn't bounce off as much.

DD: It bounces off, but it doesn't matter that much. I don't think our music works well in that type of architecture , whereas Tool's does. They're songs are slow and thick and they go on forever. I think they were very smart; They basically figured out how to write music that sounds good in big places.

t/f: Do you think that on album number two, you guys are finally considered less of a "super-group" and more of an actual group?

DD: I would hope so. I mean with the super-group thing, I don't care, people can say what they want. But really this whole thing started as a collaboration between me and Mike. We had no idea where it would ultimately go or if we'd be a band. But we recruited our friends. I'd been talking to John Stanier about playing together for years. And we all knew Kevin Rutmanis. Mike said, personality-wise he'd be just right. And, he was right. I know that's how it is, it's not like we said let's create a rock super-group . How stupid would that be, you know what I mean? I'd like to think that now it has its own personality, we have our own sound, maybe we'll start getting away from that.

t/f: So, you have a big tour ahead, Europe, Australia. How do you like the road life?

DD: I like it, but man, it gets exhausting. To me that's a real band. Everybody has a home studio now, everyone has computers. So the world is full of guys and gals who just sit around and do these home recording projects and put it out, and you can read about it everywhere you go. To me, go out and do it night after night, go and recreate that. That's when it's real and when it's not. That's, to me, the challenge. Go out and deal with everything you're going to deal with and then, get up there and give people their money's worth and make them happy and excited and all that kind of shit. To me, that's what bands are supposed to do.

t/f: So when the tour is over, are you going to go to work on another Tomahawk album?

DD: Yes. When I'm done I'm going to get back to Tomahawk stuff. I'll do some stuff in Nashville for a couple people there. I've got this other project that's kind of on the backburner but I don't want to talk about because, you know, you jinx things.

t/f: Keep up the good work, Duane.

DD: Thanks man, appreciate it.

sintesi: intervista molto interessante( e lunga...) consiglio di leggervela tutta comunque, perchè è forse la più esaustiva che ho trovato.
innanzitutto spiega che "Mit gas" è nato in maniera diversa che "Tomahawk", 3 canzoni (Mayday, Harelip, Birdsong) erano già state scritte e suonate live (non avevano abbastanza pezzi nell' ultimo tour per una scaletta), e inoltre hanno avuto modo di fare delle improvvisazioni, mentre perte del materiale è stato preparato saperatamente su Cd e poi messo assieme nello studio digitale che ha Duane.
le sue canzoni preferite sono "Point and Click" e "Capt. Midnight", quelle che lo divertono di più "Mayday" e "Harelip", che definisce "facile"...
crede che con il secondo disco ci sia più consapevolezza nei Tomahawk, che all' inizio erano un po' disorientati, mentre dice che aveva già preparato metà delle canzoni del primo album prima di sapere chi avrebbe collaborato con lui, e ammette di essersi trovato molto meglio a scrivere i pezzi per Mit gas, sapendo chi erano i musicisti che sarebbero stati al suo fianco.
Poi parla di Patton e David Yow dice: "With Patton, it's so easy to write for a singer like him because he can sing melodies and do traditional vocals as well as screech and shatter and do all that other stuff. So, I feel like I can write just about anything, which wasn't always the case in the past", in pratica Patton è il cantante ideale, a cui puoi affidare tutto sapendo che riuscirà a farlo... e dice di amare le aggiunte e i tools che piazza Patton nei pezzi, e si dice favorevole alla tecnologia applicata nella musica, se usata nella maniera giusta.
Ci dice di come gli piacciano gli ABBA (!) e di quel sia la differenza fra la sua vecchia casa discografica, la Capitol, e l' attuale, la Ipecac... nella Ipecac si ragiona più in termini artistici, chi suona e scrive ha maggiore libertà, si bada più alla qualità e si lavora con gente fidata, mentre alla Capitol i Jesus Lizard ci misero del tempo per far capire di non essere una banmd he sforna singoli ma che lavora su interi album, e sui live...
Parla dell' esperienza come band di supporto dei Tool, e inoltre spera che i Tomahawk non vengano più considerati un supergruppo costruito a tavolino ma un gruppo normale, perchè lui e Stainer si conoscievano da anni, così come Mike e Rutmainis... Mike inoltre presentò Rutmanis a Denison dicendo che era la personalità giusta per i Tomahawk, cosa che adesso penso anche Duane. per finire, dice di amare la vita on the road con una band, nonostante sia sfiancante, definendola ciò che una band deve davvero fare, ovvero rendere la gente felice di aver speso dei soldi per vederti da vivo.

adesso mi fermo qua, ne ho altre pronte... :sir:

Jizzlobber
view post Posted on 29/10/2006, 18:13     +1   -1

Piglia bene! :D

EDIT: se vuoi te le traduco...! anche se già 'idea dei suntini rossi è ottima! :)

view post Posted on 29/10/2006, 18:17     +1   -1

Group:
Fan Club

CITAZIONE (Jizzlobber @ 29/10/2006, 18:13)
Piglia bene! :D

EDIT: se vuoi te le traduco...! anche se già 'idea dei suntini rossi è ottima! :)

guarda fai tu
a me va bene anche se te le rileggi e basta e correggi eventualmente i riassuntini... magari ho saltato qualcosa o interpretato male qualcos' altro :P non sono un granchè con la lingua inglese

Jizzlobber
view post Posted on 29/10/2006, 18:30     +1   -1

Ok allora se necessario con calma farò eventulamente qualche correzione ;)

view post Posted on 29/10/2006, 18:45     +1   -1

Group:
Fan Club

mandamele via pm nel caso

view post Posted on 17/1/2007, 20:41     +1   -1

Group:
Fan Club

ho trovato una cazzatina su un sito... :D http://havoctv.com/page.asp?id=16077

1. Name, age, sign & favorite food?

Duane Denison, 40+, aquarius, anything italian or greek

2. Favorite band/album of all time?

Beatles - Sgt Pepper

3. Favorite current band/album?
U.S.S.A. or Battles, can't decide

4. When you're on the road, what keeps you sane?
Knowing that I'm bringing joy into the hearts of my countless fans with my god-given talent

5. What musician do you wish you could be for a day and why?

Duane Eddy - he's a guitar hero with a cool first name

6. What animal are you most like and why?

Cat - -sleep, eat, lay around, clean up, repeat......

7. Favorite Beatle?
George Martin or Billy Preston, can't decide

8. David Lee Roth Or Sammy Hagar?

C'mon - Mr Roth, of course....the cradle will rock!!

9. Dogs or cats?
See # 6

10. Got any last words?

In the age of temporary immortality, the truly wise man knows when to play dumb.....

eheh l' unica cosa interessante è che ha già messo il suo nuovo progetto, gli USSA, fra le sue band preferite... poi vabbè gli piacciono i Beatles e altre robette così :lol:

view post Posted on 1/7/2007, 00:03     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

Lunga ed interessante intervista a Duane su suicidegirls.com
Parla soprattutto di Anonymous, ma anche di vari aspetti musicali, degli USSA e di Paris Hilton :D

SPOILER (click to view)

Tomahawk

By Erin Broadley
Jun 29, 2007

When Ipecac Records band Tomahawk first surfaced in 2001 with its self-titled debut, rock talk swirled regarding the meaning behind the band’s name and, more specifically, whether or not it was a reference to Native American culture. It didn’t take a genius to realize that, yes…it was. Now with the recent release of its third album Anonymous, Tomahawk has delivered an album that finally bridges the gap between the band’s name and the culture it references. Released June 19, Anonymous is an album based on hundred-year-old transcriptions guitarist Duane Denison found of un-credited Native American songs. After being given what Denison calls the “Tomahawk Treatment” by him and band members John Stanier (drums) and Mike Patton (vocals), the songs were transformed masterfully into a contemporary statement about the nameless creators of the original music. It’s a concept album of sorts, but really, what album isn’t? It’s an album that gives voice -- albeit a hauntingly maniacal voice -- to those who never had one. Patton told SuicideGirls,

“It was a totally unique concept. One that I had not heard any other ‘rock’ bands attempt. It seemed perfect for Tomahawk, and Duane sent me bits and pieces of the source material that just blew me away. It was also quite a challenge. We had to stay true to the spirit yet bring it to modern day. I tip my hat to Duane. I'm pretty fortunate in that most of my fan base is up for adventure. We are not kidding ourselves to think that it will get 5 stars in Rolling Stone or Spin. This music is not a commodity. We are not planning on hanging platinum records on the walls. We tend to be ‘anonymous’ to the mainstream. Ironically the people that I am most anxious to hear from are the Native Americans. [As for my vocals] it was wide open. A lot of the original vocals just flowed in and out of the music like another instrument. I love that!”

SuicideGirls caught up with Duane Denison at his home in Nashville, Tennessee to get the full story…

Erin Broadley: Hey Duane, how are you?

Duane Denison: Good. Hold on a sec. I’m going to go outside where you can hear the chirping of birds in lovely Tennessee.

EB:

You’ve said that Anonymous was motivated by your interest in finding Native American music that was more aggressive, spookier and more kinetic than the norm. What exactly was it about the music you had been hearing that left you unsatisfied and wanting more?

DD:

Just that it was plainly too conventional. I had seen a number of native bands play at gigs throughout the West mostly at casinos and reservation gigs. I played at the Native American Music Awards in Gallup, NM with Hank III back in 2000 and it was all native bands and for the most part. I don’t mean to diss them but I was sort of disappointed and taken aback by how conventional it seemed. It just sounded like Southern rock or blues or country. Or else it sounded like new age drum circle, chantey stuff. And I just thought, “Well this is a drag! This can’t be all there is.” So I just kind of made a mental note of it and tucked it away. Then I started doing some research into different anonymous stuff because we started this album with the concept of it being based on anonymity. Our sources would be anonymous, public domain, older stuff for a couple of reasons: it’s interesting and you don’t have to worry about copyright or anything like that once it gets past a certain age. We also liked the idea of anonymity because it seems like -- in music and in American entertainment and culture in general today -- there’s this mindset where people will do anything to be famous. And it seemed really cool to do something involving people who can’t be famous because you don’t really know who they are.

EB:

I think it also reflects the whole history of the Native American movement and being a silenced and forgotten people without a voice in history.

DD:

Of course, that too. People are aware of certain tribes and a few famous Native American individuals throughout history.

EB:

But for the most part, they're nameless.

DD:

Yeah, for the most part. The people who created the most stuff and were the real nuts and bolts of that society, we'll never know who they are.

EB:

I found it fascinating that, to your knowledge, this music has never been recorded. Was that an ideal opportunity? I mean, it seems like a chance to be the Indiana Jones of rock and roll...

DD:

(Laughs) Yeah. I don’t want to build it up too much and talk about it like it’s a brilliant discovery where the likes of which have only been seen on this level…but you know, you’re absolutely right. And not only that but I felt like I was on to something that I hadn’t heard anyone else do. To me, it removes some of the stigma that I feel might be associated with doing a project like this. You look at a group like the Rolling Stones, when they first started and even still, there's no denying that a lot of what they did was directly based on recordings of black American blues artists. And they admit it. And to their credit they’ve always admitted it. To their credit, the people who they’ve borrowed from, whether it’s Muddy Waters or whoever, actually like them and thank them. I’ve heard interviews with BB King where he thanks the British invasion for covering his music.

EB:

He didn’t feel slighted by it?

DD:

No, these artists’ careers were rejuvenated by it. So anyway, this Tomahawk album was not like that. We did not have any recordings to copy or study or steal from. We just had these transcriptions. It was there and it wasn’t. All that was there was the barest of bones, the barest of blueprints. I just dug into these things and picked the ones that I thought were the most interesting and recorded some rough demos, very basic with a guitar and drum machine and played them for everyone. I let them further narrow it down to see which ones seemed best suited for the Tomahawk treatment.

EB:

When you came across the books and source material, did that discovery come before the interest and decision to turn it into a new record?

DD:

Yes, absolutely. I’m glad you mentioned that because I was just fascinated by the quality of it and that it bore no relation to what I had heard done. It was interesting on a strictly musical level. It was fun to play with. I make a living playing music so I’m always working on something that, one way or another, is a form of commercial art. On one hand, I do try to be unique and original and exciting. On the other hand, let’s face it I’m always somewhat concerned with what other people will think because we have to sell it. If people are going to come to shows and buy the album, it has to be something worth selling. But that’s not all I ever do. I work on stuff and practice stuff at home during my free time that I don’t ever do anything with. I’ve got tons of books and stuff that I play with for my own enjoyment and not for anyone else. So when I found this native stuff I didn’t really have any big plans for it. I just played it because I liked it.

EB:

You weren’t holed up in a library scouring books like, “Oooh what can I steal and sell...”

DD:

No, not at all. It was just a lucky catch. I don’t have any native blood but I’m going to play with it because no one else is. Originally, when we first started doing it with Tomahawk, we thought that maybe we would just do a few tracks and use them as interludes between songs and do a rock album more along the lines of the last two. But then we decided to just make a big jump and do the whole album like this. We’ve shown we can do the other stuff. We don’t have to prove that we can rock anymore. Collectively we’ve made dozens of albums in that genre. We wanted to just do something different and see what happens. There’s a huge [lyrical element] to this album. Some of it is very phonetic, just based on sounds. Some of the songs had translations. And some of it was still in the native language of those who wrote it so you just read it and hopefully make it sound like what it was supposed to sound like.

EB:

And Mike is perfect for that...

DD:

Yeah, absolutely. There was a lot of stuff that we added where we used the native stuff as basic, background material and then developed it. We created loops out of it and made sequences. Some of the lyrics are definitely just made up for that particular song. There’s a mix of everything in there. Mike's voice and vocal range were just perfect. Not that I’m bragging about it, but I really think it’s one of the best things he's ever done. I don’t like it when I see other people brag too much. But on the other hand I’m also wary of people who are overly humble. (Pauses) Can you hear that bird chirping?

EB:

Yeah, it sounds beautiful.

DD:

It’s nice. I’m in the backyard. Anyway, I get tired of humbleness because I hate it when people say, “I’m just doing it for myself and if other people like it then cool.” Well, I never believe that because if you’re really doing it just for yourself then why on earth are you making an album? Why are you packaging it and publicizing it and releasing it and going through all the trouble. If you’re truly doing it for yourself, you’re not going to go through all that!

EB:

Absolutely. I’ve come across a lot of musicians with that attitude. I always say look, the minute you take your music out of your garage, the minute you bring your music into a public or commercial forum, you take on a whole new responsibility when it comes to your audience. If you’re selling them something then you bet your ass you’d better believe in or else why should they?

DD:

Yes, oh yeah...see now we're getting on a topic. This is interesting now, Erin. The minute you step on stage you better have a pretty strong ego to get up in front of people and charge them money. You must think that what you’re doing is good because how on earth can you justify doing it otherwise? There's a certain amount of ego involved in that as well and you have to have it or you’ll just crumble up and wither away. So when I hear people trying to be humble in that regard…well guess what? I don’t believe you. Look, I’m not a celebrity, I’m a musician. If people know who I am it’s because of what I do and not because of what I look like or how I act or my outrageous opinions. When I hear celebrities complain about how they can’t go anywhere without being recognized, I mean, these people have spent their whole lives trying to be famous. They spend hundreds of thousands of dollars with publicists to make sure their name is everywhere and that their picture is everywhere and that they’re on all the talk shows. And then, they complain when people recognize them. Isn’t that ridiculous?!

EB:

Of course it is.

DD:

But that’s all part of the celebrity culture we live in now. Paris Hilton? What does she DO? What is she actually good at besides her body?

EB:

She's good at working out.

DD:

Exactly. She's shown she can hang out at the gym all day. And her sister has no talent! Even Paris Hilton, who I have to admit I kind of like for some reason...

EB:

Really? (Laughs)

DD:

Yeah, I don’t dislike her. I don’t know why. I should but I just don’t. But what does she actually do? What does she do to warrant that fame?

EB:

I’m not sure.

DD:

She's not a good actor or actress. Oh, by the way, I don’t mind saying the word "actress" even though people say its not PC anymore. Do you?

EB:

(Laughs) No, I don’t mind at all. I always say “actress.”

DD:

I mean, male and female are not the same.

EB:

I still say “stewardess” even though I guess I’m supposed to say "flight attendant." Fuck that, man.

DD:

I do too! And I still say “waitress.” I don’t think there's anything bad with that. Men and women are not the same and by adding "-ESS" at the end I do not think I’m demeaning anyone. I’m so tired of it. Guys like me are not the enemy. Anyway...what were we talking about? Oh yeah, Tomahawk...okay. (Laughs)

EB:

(Laughs) It’s all related.

DD:

Right. The anonymity factor. There are a lot of people who are doing great things who will never get any recognition for it.

EB:

Exactly, there are those who complain about being in the spotlight and complain about the recognition and then there are people who will never have a voice but would love one.

DD:

If you look back, I’m not sure when this happened but I was reading about it in some art book, hundreds of years ago people created art and built massive architecture that took generations to build and we have no idea who they were. Whereas nowadays some guy has some motorcycle shop and he's a celebrity because he customizes motorcycles. Come on. One more musical thing I would like to point out is that, one of the byproducts of working on the native stuff is that I noticed a fair amount of melodies were written in this mode based on this five-tone pentatonic scale, which goes a long way towards the idea of the land bridge that may or probably existed between Asia and North America, across Alaska. It seems to me that a lot of this music sounds like Asian folk music, like what you would hear played on flutes and stuff in Korea or Japan or China. It seemed to me that, if those are the people that came across the land bridge -- the Native Americans -- then it makes nothing but sense! In the bigger sense, if you listen to the blues and a lot of African folk music and even Celtic music...it’s all the same scale. So it makes me think there’s this sort of universal pentatonic thing going on here and this is part of it. Isn’t that cosmic?!

EB:

I think it’s amazing. With this music being over 100 years old, what is it about the way you guys are presenting the material that you think is going to help it connect with modern day listeners?

DD:

Obviously we're not purists. Obviously we're using electric guitars and drums and samplers and modern studio techniques. It sounds more like a rock album. It seems to me that people who like our previous stuff will be drawn to it because it’s something they’re familiar with. Maybe they trust that we make good music. Yet it’s also different in a way. It’s not just another rock album or another rock product. I’d like to think there's a fair amount of people out there who, even though they say they’re into rock and the rock scene or whatever, that’s not all they listen to. They like to have something that steps away from that in a more atmospheric way. But at the same time I don’t want to be lumped in with some kind of world beat thing...

EB:

Right. Well, you mentioned how bare bones the material was that you had to work with. What were some of the challenges you faced with making it a Tomahawk record but still staying true to the original structure?

DD:

Well, there you go. That was the challenge! (Laughs) That was a good question. Um, you want to somehow try and capture the essence of the piece as simply as possible and then develop it. For me the hard part, and also for Patton, was developing it in a way that didn’t seem overly thought out or overly contrived. It would have been easy to take a simple melody and say make a feud out of it! Like, repeat this half way through only a fifth below that and have this other voice and invert it and have this happen, you know what I mean? I wanted to keep it more transparent and straightforward.

EB:

More immediate?

DD:

Yes, exactly. We didn’t want it to come off at all like an academic exercise. But at the same time we didn’t want it to come off like a gag or like a novelty act. We didn’t want it to be like, “Oh we're just going to mess around with this and hopefully people will like it because we're Tomahawk!” Hopefully we avoided that. When you make music and you’re interpreting stuff, there's a certain amount of license you have to take and should be happy to take. But at the same time you want to preserve the integrity of the source material. Whether we did or not is for other people to decide.

EB:

You mentioned interpretation, which this album definitely embodies. But I know that Tomahawk is also a lot about collaboration, particularly with the way you work with the guys. You write the bulk of the music and then Mike said that you guys will leave each other voicemails with your baby blabbering all over them, exchanging ideas to flush out a song. Creatively, when it comes to the differences between interpretation and collaboration, do you prefer one to the other?

DD:

No. Actually I kind of liked having the interpretive element with this. All the other stuff, when you’re writing songs from the ground up, it’s all collaboration at that point. You’re making it up from the get-go. Whereas with this it was kinda cool to have the rough framework already set. It already had a direction. It used to be that you’d make cassettes and send them back and forth and that turned into CDs and nowadays you can record and home demo and load it into your computer and send a file and someone halfway around the world will have it that day. If you’ve got the technology now you can make up for the distance between people. So that’s one of the benefits of that. On the other hand, I really think there’s still something to just bashing it out, just getting together and putting it in real time and deciding what sounds good and what doesn’t right then and there.

EB:

Well, besides Tomahawk and Hank III, you were also the guitarist for the Jesus Lizard, which is considered a quintessential live band. One of the last times I talked to Mike he mentioned that Tomahawk functions so well as a live band that it could not exist without playing live. What do you think it is that attracts you to bands that really thrive in the live environment?

DD:

For me that’s when it’s the most real. I’m glad, it’s funny you mentioned that because I just played a show Saturday night with this new band I have U.S.S.A. It is me and Paul Barker from Ministry and a couple of guys. We had a really great here in Nashville. I realized that if it weren’t for playing live I probably wouldn’t even do this. I like the creativity in recording. It’s fun to put things out but to me there’s just something primitive and ritualistic to playing live. It’s very basic and elemental. It’s just one of the basic straightforward forms of communication. It’s life affirming and there's an excitement there that I just don’t get from anything else. I like the fact that as a player you’ve got one chance. You play those songs and if you screw it up then tough luck. You’ve got to live with it. Especially nowadays with the YouTube generation -- everything you ever do is being recorded in some way. From now on, everything you ever do, especially musically, someone is going to be recording it. If you make a mistake they’ll be blogging about it immediately. It’s ridiculous. (Laughs)

EB:

Well when it comes to playing live, how do you see this material fitting in with the other two albums in Tomahawk’s live set?

DD:

I don’t know. I don’t think there will be any problems with it. We don’t have any immediate plans to play live. It took so long for this album to come out. I started on this stuff years ago, so now that it’s finally come out we're all involved in other things. John Stanier plays in Battles, Mike has Peeping Tom and I’ve got this thing U.S.S.A and we have an album coming out in the Fall. And now that those things are going I don’t want to pull back from them. So we don’t know what will happen. Keep moving forward, you know.

For any and all things Tomahawk check out www.ipecac.com

sul myspace degli USSA sono indicati inoltre tutti i siti e i magazine in cui Denison ha lasciato interviste recentemente:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...logID=282069329

solo che non ci sono linkate le pagine, ma solo i nomi dei siti..

Edited by MrBungle82 - 1/7/2007, 01:25

Web  Top
view post Posted on 1/7/2007, 13:42     +1   -1

Group:
Fan Club

in questa intervista ad un certo punto è Duane a fare le domande :lol: comunque interessante l' ultimo pezzo

CITAZIONE
EB:

Well when it comes to playing live, how do you see this material fitting in with the other two albums in Tomahawk’s live set?

DD:

I don’t know. I don’t think there will be any problems with it. We don’t have any immediate plans to play live. It took so long for this album to come out. I started on this stuff years ago, so now that it’s finally come out we're all involved in other things. John Stanier plays in Battles, Mike has Peeping Tom and I’ve got this thing U.S.S.A and we have an album coming out in the Fall. And now that those things are going I don’t want to pull back from them. So we don’t know what will happen. Keep moving forward, you know.

insomma un tour sembra ben lungi dall' iniziare, peccato

view post Posted on 1/7/2007, 13:57     +1   -1

Group:
Administrator

CITAZIONE (Petauro @ 1/7/2007, 14:42)
in questa intervista ad un certo punto è Duane a fare le domande :lol: comunque interessante l' ultimo pezzo

CITAZIONE
EB:

DD:

insomma un tour sembra ben lungi dall' iniziare, peccato

già :emo:

Web  Top
view post Posted on 28/10/2012, 19:50     +2   +1   -1

Lord Of Terror

Group:
Administrator

Web  Top
view post Posted on 18/12/2012, 23:50     +1   +1   -1

Group:
Fan Club

nell'ultimo numero di rock a rolla (#41) ci sono in copertina i Tomahawk (e quindi presumo intervista e approfondimento sul nuovo lavoro)

http://rock-a-rolla.com/main/

41%20COVER

10 replies since 29/10/2006, 17:53   371 views